Spotlight on Staff – Whaea Vashti

Tēna koutou katoa!

Ko Te Tuarātapu-o-Te Rangihaeata ngā maunga.
Ko Manawatū te awa.

Ko Tangata Tiriti te iwi.

Ki te taha o tōku pāpā, no Pōrana ōku tīpuna.

Ki te taha o tōku māmā, no Ingarani ōku tīpuna.

Ko Tymkin tōku whānau.

Ko Neil tōku tāne.

Ko Vashti tōku ingoa.

Hi! I’m Vashti, and I’m teaching Ruma 20 this year. I’ve been teaching for ten years. I worked at Westmere School, te kura o te Rehu. I was the Cultural Responsiveness facilitator and the Living and Learning facilitator. That means I enjoyed helping teachers to include different cultures and different kinds of learners. I especially liked helping kids learn about the history of their neighbourhood, and te tiriti o Waitangi.

Before I was a teacher, I worked as a teacher aide, and as a shop assistant, and as a kayak instructor. I used to play a sport called Canoe Polo for New Zealand, but now I like yoga, falling off my surfboard, and reading Scandinavian Crime novels.

I studied English and linguistics in my Bachelor of Arts, and I especially liked learning writing at the University of Auckland. I love literacy! I also love science. When I was younger, I studied science for two years. Next, I studied electronics. After that, I studied sports science. I like a lot of different things! It took me a long while to become a teacher. My favourite thing about teaching is learning alongside children, so I think I’m in the right job.

I am still learning. I learn te reo Māori at te Wānanga o Raukawa, and I am also studying a Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Guidance at Massey University.

If you see me at school, please say kia ora! I look forward to meeting new people and finding out all about Te Atatū. This is an amazing community, and I am very proud to have been asked to work here.

No reira, tēna koutou, tēna koutou, tena koutou katoa.