Spotlight on Staff – Tori Cotton-Everitt

Tēna koutou katoa!  My name is Victoria Cotton-Everitt (Tori) and I co-share the teaching in Room 9 with Kathryn O’Reilly-Dodd.

I studied a BA in Social Anthropology at Auckland University learning about people and cultures and then I went on to study a Masters of Social Work at Massey Uni in Auckland.  After completing the first year of the two year Masters, and working at Women’s Refuge for 6 months, I decided primary teaching was a better career choice for me. I completed the Graduate Diploma at Auckland Teachers College and went on to teach in Mangere East for three years.

I have returned to full time teaching after taking a hiatus to travel through Europe for a few years and then starting a family back in New Zealand.  I have two boys at Matipo who are in Room 24 and Room 1 and I think they are getting a world class education at Matipo.

I love Literacy and just devour reading books in my spare time.  I am on first name basis with all the local librarians who know I am constantly over my card limit of issuing books! I like walking, bike riding and yoga and dancing when no one is looking!

I love seeing the expressions on children’s faces and excitement about learning new things and it’s fantastic when they teach the teacher something new as well.

Please say hi when you see me around the school and I hope your children have a fantastic learning experience during their time at Matipo.