Newsletter #31 September 28th

After 28 years, this is my final newsletter. I came here as a younger man, slim, black hair and widely enthusiastic. Unfortunately, only the enthusiasm remains. In this time the school grew from 150 to a projected 650 next year. We have had two fires over this time, 1989 and 2015.

The school was an early adopter of IT and Inquiry Learning. This has always been a child centred school and to new teachers, visitors and parents, I always give the same message: the greatest asset of this school is the children. On hundreds of occasions after trips and visits, I get the same feedback – your kids were so good!

Our ERO reports over the years have always been very complementary, positive and reaffirming. We are a school that has strived for excellence. I will miss the smiling, happy faces of the kids, their friendship, their enthusiasm and their positivity.

I wish to acknowledge the staff over the last 28 years – support staff and teaching staff. Everybody goes above and beyond expectation. They have been greatly committed and all multi-task taking on extra roles and responsibilities. We have had a series of great supportive Boards over the period. I would particularly like to acknowledge the tremendous load and loyalty that has been shouldered by present Board Chair, Vanna Blucher.

I am leaving with many pleasant memories, a feeling of pride and take particular pleasure from exposing, developing and enhancing the Arts to our children, particularly visual art and dance.

I have always believed in young teachers, have invested in them and given them opportunities for advancement and leadership. I have seldom been let down.

I am looking forward to getting my garden back in order, getting back into walking and enjoying listening to a stack of CD’s, LP’s and unread books, and also have a number of travel ventures to keep me busy.

Goodbye, and best wishes to you all!

Term 4 – Summer Hours
School resumes on Monday 16th October and we revert back to summer hours with a full hour for lunch and school finishing at 3pm. All children must wear a hat during break times.

Happy Birthday This Week To
Sasha Hickman, Eva Inkster, Anna Schrott, Ngakau O’Donnell, Maxwell Sanders, Alexandra Boyle, Eve Parsons, Mia Armstrong, Janelle Eason-Ayrapetyan, George Fisk and Tate Robinson. Happy Birthday over the holidays to Saskia Boyack, Ezekiel Apostol, Joaquin Gapusan, Eva Olesen, Daniel Vujnovich, Lyn Lin, Luka Nemaia, Ashley Shepherd, Tristan Gotz, India-Rose Hira, Leah McKean, Samuel Atkinson-Burns, Delta Johns, Jed Lindsay-Ola, Sam Lindsay-Ola, Jeremi McEntee, Jake Jones, Emily Fraser, Mikayla Lincoln, Anna Bell, Teo Pilot-Rowsell and Lakar Wood-Houia

Bright and Beautiful Celebration Day
Bright and Beautiful was a huge success with a grand parade, impromptu flash dance, APO Brass Percussion concert, lucky prize draw, entertainment items from staff and pupils and then a junior and senior ‘dance party’. Thanks to Lumino Dentist for donation of toothbrushes for all the kids.

Basketball Field Day
Last Thursday our Matipo Basketball teams competed in the Te Atatu Interschool Basketball competition at Rutherford College. It was an exciting day with breath-taking moments as all the games were very close. Both of our teams gave their maximum effort every split second on the court. With all the blood, sweat and tears during the hard training we’ve had, they all paid off as our Matipo Basketball A Team came 2nd in the league, while the B Team came third. Congratulations to Lycan Kay, Player of the Day for the A Team, and to Neil Amerika, Player of the Day for the B Team. Well done to all our awesome basketball players!

Parent Wardens Wanted – Urgent
We are seeking parent help at the busy corner of Taikata & Matipo Road crossing on Friday afternoons. Thanks to Libby Clark who has been volunteering her time to fill this position. Please call the office, 834 6909, or see Mrs Clark, Rm 1 marion@staff.matipo.school.nz if you can assist (3.00pm – 3.20pm). If you are able to assist on any other day, we would love to hear from you.

Assembly
Tomorrow’s assembly is at 2.15 pm in the hall for the Taonga and Mana Syndicates, and will be hosted by Room 13.

Have a safe and happy holiday with your children. Best Wishes!

Please support our newsletter sponsors!